Updated: Aug 8, 2021
Ready for fresh and savory Southwest flavors in a bowl? I usually love food wrapped in a tortilla, but this Tortilla-less Chicken Fajita bowl is seriously delicious, and is one of my favorite go-to's!
Tortilla-less Chicken Fajitas
• 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 white or yellow onion, quartered and sliced
• 1 green bell pepper, sliced
• 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, sliced
• 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
• ½ tsp. salt and black pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp. cumin
• 1 tbsp. garlic powder
• 1 fresh lime, halved
• 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
• Toppings: Fresh salsa/pico de gallo, 1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese, and a dollop of light sour cream (or plain nonfat Greek yogurt).
1. Heat 1.5 tbsp. olive oil on large pan over medium heat. Season raw chicken breast with black pepper and salt and transfer to pan; cook thoroughly, about 10 minutes.
2. In the meantime, on another large pan, heat ½ tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add sliced onion and bell pepper strips to pan, and sauté for 2 minutes. Season with ½ tbsp garlic powder, ½ tbsp cumin and a little salt and pepper to taste and sauté another 1-2 minutes. Add fresh cilantro and juice of half of lime and mix into onion and bell peppers.
3. When chicken is cooked thoroughly, transfer to cutting board to cut into strips. Return chicken to pan, season again with ½ tbsp. garlic powder, ½ tbsp. cumin and juice of other half of lime; stir until well coated over medium heat, about 1-2 minutes.
4. Arrange plate with 1/3 of bell pepper/onion mixture, 1/3 of chicken strips, and top with 1-2 tbsp. of salsa, about 1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese, and 1-2 tbsp. light sour cream/plain Greek yogurt, as desired.
Nutrition: (per 1 serving; Makes 3 servings): Calories: 400, Fat: 16 g, Sat fat: 6 g, Carb: 20 g; Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 12 g (Added Sugars: 0 g); Protein: 43 g, Sodium 500 mg
Ashley Lee, Registered Dietitian
Swedesboro, New Jersey